slow and steady project progress


i’m slowly chipping away at getting both of these bikes done. the derbi is by far the most ambitious build i’ve tackled, the pitbike forks on the maxi have proved to be challenging (i’m going to do a full writeup on everything it took to make them work when i’m done) and i’m also forcing myself to move slow and not miss any details on the motor, frame, etc on the maxi. it’s taken a ton of mental work to keep everything straight on where i’m at with both projects and figuring out which one needs to have time spent and there’s definitely been moments of feeling overwhelmed. thankfully though i’m starting to see things get close to being done.

my custom derbi sprockets from sprocket specialists in california arrive today, and i’m heading to the rad motorcycle shop in town to find tires that’ll work on the rear 74′ kawasaki F7 rim and have a low enough profile to not hit the front of the swingarm. the triple triple tree nut on the pit bike forks is mostly stripped (let’s not talk about that right now), so i’m bringing them to a bike shop down the street to see if they have any old headsets that’ll work. then i have to find a place that has a 10mm ~170mm bolt i can make into an axel (anyone know of a place? i’m striking out so far) and pick up the spacers i ordered from fastenal to adapt the 10mm axel the yz80 wheel needs to the forks that were made for 12mm. is all this exciting for you? probably not. but i share it because a) i don’t have any awesome exciting photo progress for you, and b) to show a small amount of the extensive work that goes into custom projects. it’s not genius rocket science work (like this stuff), just real time consuming, tedious and a lot of creative problem solving. i certainly didn’t realize how much went into a full custom build, and now have even more respect for the dudes that have done way more awesome stuff than the bikes i’m building.

because i hate words and love pictures i’ll leave you with this, filed under “what the hell is on this hobbit?” i helped my friend tear apart her hobbit and we found this all over the reed block, intake and cases. not sure what it is, but it cleaned up pretty easy with some brake parts cleaner.

mrdr club hobbit?

5 Responses to “slow and steady project progress”

  1. As for your threading problems, fork/ axle, most plumbers & pipefitters are well equipped to cut threads on anything, of just about any size. Myself, I would buy some M10 steel rod, then buy the M8 die to cut threads on it. The brown crap looks alot like Indian Head Hi-Temp gasket sealant.

  2. looks like really old dried up multipurpose red grease. why it would be there i cant tell you.


    That hobbit’s name needs to be Charles Manson. Fact.

  4. 5 gabeb

    josh, good idea. nate has a pile of axels i’m going to look through and hopefully get luck with. if i don’t i’ll probably go that route.

    the goop is too red to be indian head. the bike came from a 15 year old kid in central indian who’s main hobby is demolition derby lawn tractors…so random use of multipurpose grease is probably it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: